Public Affairs & Community Service College of Public Affairs & Community Service


Administered by the University of Nebraska at Omaha

Dean: John Bartle, Ph.D.

The College of Public Affairs and Community Service (CPACS) on the Lincoln campus offers all undergraduate coursework required for the bachelor of science degree in criminology and criminal justice. In addition, a minor in criminology and criminal justice and victimology and victim services is offered in Lincoln. The College also offers all coursework for a certificate or minor in gerontology on the Lincoln campus.


College Admission

Students who have been admitted to the University may apply for entrance to the College of Public Affairs and Community Service during initial registration by indicating their preference in the appropriate place on the University Application for Admission form.

Students who wish to readmit or transfer into the College from another institution or another program within the University should refer to the individual school/department requirements to declare their intended major.

Admission Deficiencies

Students with high school admission deficiencies that have been admitted to the University of Nebraska–Lincoln may enter the College of Public Affairs and Community Service.   A college course may fulfill a high school deficiency and may also apply toward a degree in the College.


Academic Advising

Students are responsible for knowing and completing all requirements of their chosen degree program. The aim and purpose of academic advising is to assist students in career planning, meeting the requirements of the degree program, and interpreting College policy regarding academic requirements.

Students should see an advisor whenever questions arise concerning their academic programs. Students are encouraged to seek advisement with their assigned academic advisor at least two times per year, particularly when registering for the senior year.

Academic Programs & Policies

Course Exclusions and Restrictions

Credit earned in courses below the 100 level may not be applied toward the degree offered by the College of Public Affairs and Community Service.

Any restrictions noted specifically by departments. Credit towards the degree may be earned in only one course, including honors sections, from each group of courses listed below:

ACCT 200 or ACCT 201 & ACCT 202
ALEC 102 or ENGR 100
BIOS 313 or BIOS 314
BLAW 300 or BLAW 371 & BLAW 372
CHEM 105A/CHEM 105L, CHEM 109A/CHEM 109L, CHEM 113A/CHEM 113L
CHEM 471 or CHEM 481
CSCE 440 or MATH 440 or MECH 480
ECON 200 or ECON 211 & ECON 212
ECON 210 or ECON 211 & ECON 212
ECON 215, CRIM 300, EDPS 459 or STAT 218
FINA 300 or FINA 361
FREN 201 & FREN 202, or FREN 210
GEOL 100 or GEOL 101 or GEOL 101H
GERM 201 & GERM 202, or GERM 210
GREK 102 or GREK 151
LATN 102 or LATN 151
MATH 101 and/or MATH 102 or MATH 103
MATH 104 or MATH 106
MRKT 300 or MRKT 341
PHYS 141 or PHYS 151
PHYS 151 or MSYM 109
SOCI 205 or CRIM 251
SOCI 311 or CRIM 337
SOCI 474 or CRIM 413
SPAN 101 & SPAN 102 or SPAN 110
SPAN 201 & SPAN 202, or SPAN 210
SPAN 203 & SPAN 204, or SPAN 220
SPAN 303 & SPAN 304, or SPAN 300 or SPAN 300A

Credit Rules

Credit by Examination

The student should refer all questions concerning the acceptability of credits earned in programs such as Cooperative Education and Credit by Examination to the department in which enrolled.

Dual Degrees

A student who wishes to meet the requirements for two baccalaureate degrees may complete 30 additional semester hours at the University beyond the first degree in order to be awarded a second degree.

Student Recognition

Deans List

Students enrolled in the College of Public Affairs and Community Service who maintain a grade point average of 3.5 or better while carrying 12 graded hours or more will earn the distinction of being placed on the Dean’s Honor List at the end of each semester.

Degrees with Honors

The baccalaureate degrees with honors are awarded as follows:

  1. With Distinction (cum laude): To all graduates whose scholastic average for their entire university career and at NU is 3.51 or above, but below 3.63.
  2. With High Distinction (magna cum laude): To all graduates whose scholastic average for their entire university career and at NU is 3.63 or above, but below 3.87.
  3. With Highest Distinction (summa cum laude): To all graduates whose scholastic average for their entire university career and at NU is 3.87 or above.

To qualify for honors, a student must have earned at least 60 semester hours within the University of Nebraska system, 30 hours of which must be completed at the University of Nebraska at Omaha and/or the University of Nebraska–Lincoln, and in which letter grades of A, B, C, or D are received. Grades awarded in all courses taken at all colleges and universities attended are included in computing the grade point average (GPA) for determining eligibility for honors. It should be noted that the GPA included in the student grade reports issued by the Registrar’s Office reflects only courses taken at UNO, UNL, UNMC, and UNK.

Degree Audit and Application for Graduation

Graduation Requirements

Students are expected to develop a clear understanding of degree requirements and to plan their course of study with a College advisor. Students requiring clarification of outstanding degree requirements should visit with a College advisor promptly.

Students should access their Degree Audit via MyRED at least once each term to review degree requirements and progress toward graduation. It is the student’s responsibility to make sure their Degree Audit accurately reflects their current College and program of study.

Students who believe their Degree Audit has errors or omissions should visit with a College advisor promptly. It is important that you resolve these matters as soon as practicable to avoid a delay in graduation.

Each student with MyRED access must submit an online Application for Graduation via MyRED for each degree to be received, by:

  • The fourth Friday in January for May graduation
  • The second Friday in June for August graduation
  • The second Friday in September for December graduation

Students submitting an electronic Application for Graduation via MyRED will be billed a $25.00 per degree fee on their student account. Students without MyRED access may apply for graduation in person at Husker Hub, first floor of the Canfield Administration Building, or by mail. Applications for Graduation submitted in person or by mail must be accompanied by a check or money order in the amount of $25.00 payable to the University of Nebraska–Lincoln. Failure to submit a timely Application for Graduation may preclude the awarding of a degree in the intended term.

Your Application for Graduation and required $25.00 fee are good only for the term marked on your application. Neither your application nor your fee are transferrable to another term. If you submit an Application for Graduation and pay the $25.00 fee for a specified term but do not complete your degree requirements in that term, you will need to reapply to graduate in a future term and incur another $25.00 fee.

Commencement ceremony information including information about ordering cap and gown can be found at Each student who has applied for graduation must submit an online Commencement Attendance Form via MyRED, which will be available approximately one month before graduation.

Only those students who have applied for graduation, had the application accepted, and fulfilled all degree requirements as of the last day of the academic term may participate in the commencement ceremony for that term. Because the University of Nebraska–Lincoln has a commencement for each term, ceremony participation is allowed only in the term during which the student has properly and timely applied for graduation and fulfilled degree requirements.

Catalog to Use

Choice of Catalog Policy

A student registering in the College of Public Affairs and Community Service for the first time may, except for limitations described below, complete work for the degree according to one of these requirements:

  • The catalog in effect the year the student enters CPACS.
  • The catalog current at the time the student applies for the degree.

Students entering the College for the first time in the summer will be subject to the catalog for the academic year immediately following.

Students formerly in a CPACS program who dropped out of the College for one year complete requirements of the catalog current at the time of readmission.

Failure to complete the requirements for the degree within seven years after the date the student first enters the College will subject the student to graduation under the requirements of a later catalog to be approved by the Dean.

The College reserves the right to institute and make effective, after due notice and during the course of a student’s work toward a degree, any new ruling which may be necessary for the general good of the College and to substitute courses currently offered for those no longer offered.

College Degree Requirements

Achievement-Centered Education (ACE)

All students on the Lincoln campus must fulfill the Achievement-Centered Education (ACE) requirements. The 30-hour ACE requirement will include a minimum of 3 hours of approved coursework in each of the 10 designated Achievement-Centered Education (ACE) student learning outcome areas, which can be viewed at Students will be provided a list of courses they can select from to meet each of the 10 ACE Student Learning Outcomes.

Foreign Languages/Language Requirement

Students in the College of Public Affairs and Community Service who have completed the University of Nebraska high school admission requirement of two years in the same language will not be required to complete additional language for their degree.

Minimum Hours Required for Graduation

Each candidate must present a total of at least 120 semester hours of college credit to meet graduation requirements.

Grade Rules

C- and D Grades

A minimum grade of at least C- must be earned in all required courses within the major, unless a higher grade is designated by the department/school. Completion of a course within the major with a grade below a C- will not be considered as having fulfilled prerequisite requirements for additional courses taken in the major field of study. A higher grade may be designated by the department/school.

Pass/No Pass

See individual school/department limitations regarding Pass/No Pass.

GPA Requirements

Each candidate for the degree must attain a cumulative grade point average of at least 2.0. A minimum grade of at least C- must be earned in all required courses within the major, unless a higher grade is designated by the department/school. All grades reported by the faculty to the registrar become a part of the student’s permanent record and are included in the computation of the grade point average, even though some of these grades may be for work done in excess of the 120 hours required for graduation.

Transfer Credit Rules

The transfer of D grades in non-major courses are accepted only from within the University of Nebraska system. Students from other institutions must present a grade of C- or above for all coursework.

Generally, hours earned at an accredited college are accepted by the University; however, the college will evaluate all hours submitted for transfer to determine applicability toward the degree. A maximum of 64 hours may be transferred from a two-year college and a maximum of 90 hours from a four-year institution.

Course Level Requirements (Hour Requirement 300+)

Individual departments/schools should be consulted for the minimum number of upper-division hours required.


Thirty (30) of the last 36 hours required for the degree must be registered for and carried within the University of Nebraska system.

Independent Study and Internship Rules

Individual schools/departments should be consulted for rules regarding independent study and internship credit applicable to majors or minors.

Degrees & Majors

Bachelor of Science in Criminology and Criminal Justice (BSCCJ)

Although the bachelor of science in criminology and criminal justice degree can be earned entirely on the Lincoln campus, the degree is granted by the University of Nebraska at Omaha.

Minors & Areas of Specializations Offered

Minor in Criminology and Criminal Justice

The requirements to earn a minor in criminology and criminal justice will consist of a minimum of 18 credit hours to include:

CRIM 101Survey of Criminal Justice3
Select two of the following:6
Police and Society
The Criminal Court System
Survey of Corrections
Community-Based Corrections
Select a minimum of 9 credit hours of upper-level (300/400) criminology and criminal justice courses (excluding CRIM 300)9
Total Credit Hours18

An overall C average in courses applied to the minor is required and all courses must be taken for a letter grade (with the exception of CRIM 397 and CRIM 496). In addition, all 9 credit hours of upper-division coursework must be taken at the University of Nebraska.

Minor in Victimology and Victim Services 

CRIM 101Survey of Criminal Justice3
Required courses (must take all 3):9
CRIM 441Victimology
CRIM 444Victims' Rights and Services3
CRIM 400Mental Health and the Criminal Justice System3
Elective courses (choose 2):6
CRIM 339Women, Crime and Justice
CRIM 440Domestic Violence
CRIM 442Child Abuse and Neglect
CRIM 451Violence
CRIM 443Human Trafficking
CRIM 453Sexual Offending3

An overall C average in courses applied to the minor is required and all courses must be taken for a letter grade.

Minor or Certificate in Gerontology

Undergraduates may earn a certificate or minor in gerontology. The certificate consists of 15 hours of specified coursework plus a one-semester practicum. The minor is comprised of 18 hours of coursework. Although an undergraduate major in gerontology is not offered on the University of Nebraska–Lincoln campus, the certificate program may be used as a minor or concentration within several degree programs earned through other University departments.

Courses that meet the gerontology requirement are taught by gerontology department faculty as well as related faculty in other UNL and UNO departments. Students should consult the Department of Gerontology for the appropriate selection of courses.

Application materials for admission to the Gerontology Certificate Program can be obtained either from the gerontology advisor, 527 Nebraska Hall (402-472-0756); or CPACS Building 211 on the Omaha campus (402-554-2272) or at

Graduate Student Information

The College of Public Affairs and Community Service offers graduate programs in criminology and criminal justice, gerontology, social work, and public administration. Refer to the College of Public Affairs and Community Service at the University of Nebraska at Omaha website for information on these graduate programs.


Grade Appeals Procedure

Students who wish to appeal a grade that they feel was capriciously or prejudicially given, shall first discuss the matter with the instructor within 30 days of the final course grade being posted. If the matter is not resolved, the student must meet with the department/school chairperson. If a satisfactory agreement cannot be reached, the student must appeal, in writing, to the department/school curriculum committee. If a satisfactory agreement cannot be reached, the student may submit a written appeal to the Office of the Dean within 20 working days of the exhaustion of the departmental procedures.

The Committee on Academic Standards and Curriculum for the College of Public Affairs and Community Service is the official body for handling the appeal.

In the event that the instructor is unavailable for handling a grade complaint, the student will meet with the Department Chair/School Director and the Dean to determine the most appropriate course of action agreeable to all parties.