Graduate Studies

Scholarships and Financial Aid

The Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid (OSFA) does not participate in the granting of fellowships or assistantships but does maintain current information on other forms of financial support available to students.


To apply for Federal Work-Study, Federal Perkins Loans, Federal Stafford Loans, or Unsubsidized Federal Stafford Loans, students submit a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) as early as possible.

Federal Perkins Loans and Federal Work-Study are awarded on a first-come, first-serve basis to domestic students with a completed financial aid file as long as funds are available. International students are ineligible to apply for federal loans.

To have a completed file, a student must:

  1. Submit a FAFSA.
  2. Be admitted to a degree program (contact OSFA for exceptions).
  3. If coming to UNL as a transfer student or after attending another postsecondary school as an undergraduate, submit a financial aid transcript to OSFA from all schools attended. A financial aid transcript is required even if you did not receive financial aid.
  4. Submit all documentation requested by OSFA as required for verification.

Satisfactory Progress

Satisfactory progress toward a degree is a requirement for receiving financial aid. Maintaining satisfactory progress requires:

  1. successful completion of a minimum number of hours and
  2. completion of the degree prior to reaching the maximum credit hour limit.

For details refer to the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid: Satisfactory Academic Progress.