Graduate Studies

Majors and Degrees

Approved major-degree programs are listed in Programs Offered. Graduate Studies requirements for completing a program are described in master's, doctoral, and Ed.S. overviews.

Concurrent or Combined Programs


In all three cases, work for both programs must be completed at the same time.

  • Double Major: One degree is conferred, with one diploma; two majors are completed and both are listed on the transcript.
  • Dual Degree: Two degrees are conferred, with two diplomas. The degrees may be from two different institutions within the University of Nebraska (UNL, UNK, UNO, UNMC).
  • Joint Degree: One degree from two institutions within the University of Nebraska. There is currently one approved joint degree program offered in Educational Administration (UNL-UNO or UNL-UNK).

Master's Degree with Double Major

After earning Admission to a Double Major, students must meet minimum requirements for each of the majors. A minimum of half the hours must come from each major; the number of credits may vary based on the total required hours for each major. For each of the two majors, students must take a minimum number of credits, as specified for their Option, in courses open only to graduate students.

The student must satisfy the comprehensive examination requirements for each major.

  • The examining committee shall consist of two graduate faculty members from each of the major departments/areas; it shall be co-chaired by one from each.
  • All committee members must be resident Graduate Faculty, Graduate Faculty Associates, or courtesy members. At least one of the two members from each department must be Graduate Faculty or Graduate Faculty Associates.

Doctoral Degree With Double Major

At the doctoral level, five double majors are approved.  Any other major pairings are subject to approval by the departmental graduate committees and the Dean for Graduate Studies.

  • Statistics & Agricultural Economics
  • Statistics & Agronomy
  • Statistics & Animal Science
  • Statistics & Economics
  • Statistics & Natural Resource Sciences

Completed Degrees

After a degree is conferred, a second major cannot be added to it. Instead a student may apply for admission to a second program, and once admitted, complete all requirements of a full independent program.

Dual Degree Programs

The following dual degree programs have been established.  Individualized dual degree programs not listed here may be approved on a case-by-case basis by graduate chairs and the Dean for Graduate Studies.

  • Architecture (MArch) and business (MBA)
  • Architecture (MArch) and community and regional planning (MCRP)
  • Civil engineering (MS) and community and regional planning (MCRP)
  • Law and accountancy (MPA)
  • Law and business administration (MBA)
  • Law and community and regional planning (MCRP)
  • Law and educational studies (PhD)
  • Law and journalism and mass communications (MA)
  • Law and political science (MA)
  • Law and psychology (MA or PhD)
  • Legal Studies (MLS) and Psychology (PhD)

Second Master's Degree

Students who have earned a previous graduate degree at any institution may pursue additional degrees at the master's level. The subsequent master's degree(s) may be in the same discipline as the previously earned degree, or in a different discipline.

As described in Double-Counting policy:

  • No graduate credits from a graduate degree previously awarded at any institution, including UNL, will be accepted toward a subsequent master's program.
  • Graduate credits not previously applied toward a degree may be considered for transfer to a subsequent master's if the graduate credits were earned within 10 years prior to completing the master's degree at UNL.


A minor is a course of study in addition to the major, effectively an abbreviated second major.

  • For any major approved to offer a master's degree, a minor of the same name is offered.
    • For example, an MA in History exists so a minor in History is available.
  • A few additional minors have been established without a corresponding master's-level major. Some of these are also available as specializations.
    • Beef Cattle Nutrition
    • College STEM Education
    • Construction Management
    • Developmental and Learning Sciences
    • Medieval and Renaissance Studies
    • Quantitative, Qualitative, and Psychometric Methods (also available as a specialization)
    • Water Resources Planning and Management (also available as a specialization)
    • Women's and Gender Studies (also available as a specialization)

Master's Minor

A master's student may declare a minor on the Memorandum of Courses.

  • A minor under any Option must consist of at least 9 credit hours.
  • Depending on the Option, a minor may be optional, required, or unavailable.
  • A faculty member from the minor department must sign the Memorandum of Courses and the Final Examination Report.

Doctoral Minor

A doctoral student may declare a minor in their Program of Studies.

  • The minor's credit hours are included in the total for the doctoral program and must include at least 15 hours, with 6 hours in courses open exclusively to graduate students (900 level, or 800 level without 400 level or lower counterparts).
  • A graduate faculty member from the minor program must be a member of the student’s Supervisory Committee.


A specialization is a well-defined focus within a particular major or set of majors, typically 9 to 12 hours, established by approval of the UNL Graduate Council.

A student may choose a specialization while applying for admission or later when filing a plan of study. Once added to a student's program, the specialization is listed with the major on official records and transcripts.

Areas of Study

Areas — also known as concentrations or emphases — are informal and do not appear in official records.