Graduate Studies

If so, this policy handbook probably isn't what you want. Instead, check out our Prospective Students section for Programs Offered, Steps to Admission, and more.


Faculty Seeking Additional Degree

A member of the faculty in an instructional department who holds the rank or equivalent rank of assistant professor or above, or who holds an appointment for a specific term, or a member of the administrative staff holding the rank of assistant professor or above, may pursue a graduate degree at NU only after receiving special permission from the cognizant academic dean or administrative supervisor and from the campus Graduate Council responsible for the program which the faculty member wishes to pursue.

The degree cannot be in the faculty member’s own department or in a closely-related department or area. Whether it is too closely related shall be determined by the Dean for Graduate Studies of the campus involved, in consultation with the Graduate Committees of the two departments or areas. Permission may be granted to pursue a degree in the equivalent department on another NU campus.

Graduate Faculty will have that status suspended upon receiving permission to pursue an advanced degree in the Graduate College.

  • With permission from the appropriate campus Dean for Graduate Studies and Graduate Committee, they are eligible to continue to teach graduate courses, supervise graduate students at a level commensurate with their former rank in the Graduate Faculty, and serve on graduate supervisory and examining committees.
  • Upon completing or withdrawing from an advanced degree program, the original Graduate Faculty status shall be reinstated upon recommendation by at least two-thirds of the Graduate Faculty of the department or area if the person returns to the same department in which they held an appointment originally. A change of appointment to another department requires that the person follow the established procedure for obtaining Graduate Faculty status.

Faculty Non-Degree Admission

Members of the university community employed on a permanent full-time basis and holding the rank of Assistant Professor or above may be admitted on a non-degree basis to take courses for personal and professional growth by supplying an Application for Graduate Admission and the application fee.


All other University staff members are eligible for admission to all graduate admission categories and are subject to standard admission requirements.