Graduate Studies

If so, this policy handbook probably isn't what you want. Instead, check out our Prospective Students section for Programs Offered, Steps to Admission, and more.

Graduate students may be admitted into one of the following categories.

Degree or Graduate Certificate

Admission to the Graduate College as a degree-seeking or graduate-certificate-seeking student requires application to both Graduate Studies and the Graduate Committee within an academic unit. Applicants must submit an application, application fee, and one official transcript from all post-secondary schools attended, and fulfill any additional requirements the department specifies such as statement of goals, test scores, portfolios, etc. Requirements specific to each program are listed in Programs Offered.

A current student who wishes to change to a different program should consult the Master's Specialist or Doctoral Specialist; in some cases a new application is not necessary.


Non-degree, post-baccalaureate admission to the Graduate College is completed through Graduate Studies. Applicants are reviewed for minimum standards upon receipt of an application, application fee and one official transcript showing conferral of a baccalaureate or higher degree.

Special Categories and Objectives

  • Students seeking another undergraduate degree should contact Undergraduate Admissions for advising and assistance.
  • Students seeking a non-degree admission for an initial teacher certification, renewal of a teacher certification, or additional teaching endorsements should refer to the College of Education and Human Sciences' Teacher Certification and Renewal.


  • Non-degree admission carries no guarantee of future admission to a degree program, nor does it guarantee that coursework completed as a non-degree student can later be applied toward a degree.
  • Non-degree admission does not qualify students for assistantships or fellowships. Financial aid in the form of student loans is limited to those taking only undergraduate hours as prerequisites for admission to a specific graduate or professional program.
  • Non-degree admission is not available to international students on F-1 student visas.

Changing From Non-Degree to Degree Status

It is imperative that any non-degree student who expects to later enter a degree program consult that program's academic department about the limitations on credit hours that may be completed prior to entry into the program. To enter a degree program, the student must apply to it through Graduate Studies and be recommended for admission by the degree program's Graduate Committee prior to completing half the hours required by the program. There is no guarantee that credits earned as a non-degree student will be applied toward a graduate degree. Some graduate-level hours completed by non-degree students prior to degree program enrollment may be included in a plan of study at the discretion of the major and/or minor department and with the approval of the Dean for Graduate Studies.

Visiting and Intercampus

Visiting From Outside NU

Admission is available to applicants who are actively pursuing graduate studies at U.S. institutions other than the University of Nebraska campuses, and requires submission of an application, application fee, and letter of good standing from the home institution. Enrollment is limited to two consecutive terms (semesters and/or full summer enrollment).

Intercampus Within NU

Students already attending one NU campus (UNL, UNK, UNMC, or UNO) may take a few courses at another NU campus while retaining their admission at their degree-objective (home) campus by submitting the Request for Intercampus Enrollment, subject to approval by both campuses.